September 10, 2012

The Bright Light Event

This past Saturday, I was invited to attend The Bright Light event, organised by Sierra Global, in order to fund-raise and create awareness about Youth homelessness in Toronto and the war survivors of Sierra Leone. As well, I was asked to present an award to the Doctors Without Borders organisation, while I was there. And I must say, the event was impressively put together. In terms of performances, the two dance groups that presented (one called something like Creole Ballet, and the other an African dance group) were very entertaining and lively, and regarding the appearance of the event, it was lovely. I really admired the fact that all the female organsiers of that night were dressed in green dresses of different styles, made from silky fabric, traditionally used in West Africa. I wish I could've taken a picture of them all together, but they were all dispersed and sometimes it was hard to catch a glimpse of what was going on from where I sat (the very last photo gives you a peek). Nevertheless, I was pleased to attend the event that day, and below are a few pics I managed to get (I know they're not the best quality).- Also, there was a hilarious moment, when the African dance group was performing; a child (I presume of one of the dancers') followed them to the centre of the room and began dancing with them, completely oblivious of the audience which was dying of laughter. She knew all the moves, and at some point even sat on the floor to remove her shoes and socks, so she could be barefoot with the dancers. Hahahaha, I was amazed. She even bowed down at the end with all of them!


No comments:

Post a Comment