April 17, 2013

Afrobeat X Gala and Cultural Show



This post has been a long time coming, but with the stress of exams and final assignments at school, I haven't been able to focus on much else. Anyway, on March 23rd, I attended U of T's African Students Association's (ASA) Gala, and I had so much fun. First of all, the venue looked great, it was intimate, yet elegant and well decorated. The evening consisted first of a pre-show/cocktail hour, with some hors d'oeuvres and a showcase of two fashion designers. I've included some pictures below.
Tracey K Designs
Wild Moon Jewellery

Afterwards, the show began. It entailed a lineup of entertainers such as instrument players, dancers, a spoken word artist (Dwayne Morgan), and a Christian rapper (Emjoy). The music played by the DJ was on point, and the hosts did quite well too. Another person to hit the stage, was myself! I was asked by the organizers to give a small speech about myself and my organization, so after dinner, I went up to speak. My speech was to be recorded so I could share it on the blog, but unfortunately, it didn't happen too well. There will always be next time though, so I'm not too disappointed. Overall, I truly enjoyed myself at this event, I think that the ASA team did a great job showcasing different the cultural aspects of Africa. Moreover, I was very touched to know that they plan on donating the proceeds of their show, to my charity organization Hands for the Heart. I give them a round of applause. *Click Here for more pictures*
 

No comments:

Post a Comment